Guardianships, Conservatorships? Take a Look at All the Options

Jan 11, 2018 | Guardianship, Health Care Power of Attorney, Power of Attorney

Some of the options are less intrusive than a guardianship or a conservatorship.

Sometimes guardianships and conservatorships are necessary, when some members of a family believe a loved one is becoming mentally or physically incapacitated. However, there are other options, according to On Common Ground News in the article “Alternatives to guardianship and conservatorship.”

 What is the difference between the two? A guardianship takes away a person’s right to consent to medical treatment, establish a residence, sign a contract or even to marry. A conservatorship lets the appointee manage their ward’s finances and assets, buy and sell businesses and enter into commercial transactions.

One is a petition for a temporary medical consent guardian. Based on the facts in the petition, the court can determine whether there is cause, to believe the proposed medical consent ward needs a temporary medical consent guardian immediately. This occurs after all the preliminary steps have been taken, which includes a hearing. That temporary guardianship terminates, when either the court removes it, if a permanent guardian is appointed, when the hospitalization or stay in another healthcare facility ends or sixty days after the appointment is made.

An alternative option to conservatorship is the Durable Power of Attorney (DPA), which permits a competent individual to name another person as their legal representative regarding finances and other matters. There can be specific instructions, and this also can include an agent who is named to make health care decisions. A DPA is broader in power than a living will and applies any time the individual becomes incapable of either making or communicating health care decisions on their own behalf.

If you are a resident of Georgia, the state’s Advance Directives for Health Care combines the living will and health care power of attorney into one document. This gives instructions regarding how the person wants medical decisions to be made. Note that every state has its own laws and processes for these documents.

A Special Needs Trust (SNT) is a trust that can be established for a person with a disability and the assets can be used in specific ways. This kind of trust permits a person with a disability to have access to funds that might make them ineligible for certain types of programs funded by the state or federal government. The SNT allows for much more flexibility than a conservatorship and should be considered for a special needs individual first.

An estate planning attorney can advise you in creating an estate plan that fits your unique circumstances.

Reference: On Common Ground News (Nov. 29, 2018) “Alternatives to guardianship and conservatorship”